Hammar History

 North of the town of Säffle in the region of Värmland, on the shore of lake Brosjön which is connected between the rivers Tarmån and Slöan that flow to Sweden’s largest lake, Vänern, is one of the oldest farms in Värmland, known as Hammar. Already in the 1200s historical documents referred to Hammer, that it was owned by the noble Läma family until the year 1325, when the knight Håkan Jonasson Läma was forced for financial reasons to give over Hammar to the Swedish Church and Abbess Ragnfrid in Riseberga monastery. Afterwards, Knight Gustav Tunasson became the owner until 1350, when he gave Hammer to Backaby monastery as payment for his foster daughter to attend the convent. The Swedish Church kept the property until King Gustav Vasa came to power in 1528 and repealed all of the Swedish Church’s properties and acquired them. Hammer remained a part of the Royal Swedish Family’s property for a long time and used as representational post for royal embassaries. Peter Nilsson of Ekna, who took the name "Gyllenstråle" in connection with receiving his noble title, was given Hammar as a fief and appointed as County Governor of Värmland. Peter Gyllenstråle was married to Bengta Månsdotter, daughter of the commanding officer at Örebro Castle, Måns Knutsson Roos and his wife Margaret Arfvidsdotter Ancker. After Peter's death Hammer was passed down to their son Carl Pedersson Gyllenstråle, who in 1614 received a written confirmation of Hammer from the widowed Queen Katarina. He later died in 1649. Then Hammar was owned by the Scottish Colonel Alexander Thomson, married first to Mary Sjöblad and after her passing then married Margaret Svenske, daughter of Calvary Officer Anders Svenske and his spouse Estrid Hård of Torestorp. The colonel was at Hammar until his death in 1678. The next owner, Calvary Officer Carl Silfverswärd who was married to Margaret Uggla, daughter of Sten Johan Carlsson Uggla and his wife Margaret Gyllenmärs, lived his final years at Hammer after the end of his military career, where he passed away peacefully during Christmas 1690. Thereafter, the Major and Knight Olof Wallencrona, son of the Mayor of Filipstad, Olof Olofsson Wallgren, and his wife, the noble Elisabeth Carlberg, took over as owner of Hammer. He was married to Margaret Tingvall, the daughter of the ironmaster at Molkom, Lars Tingvall and his spouse the noble Christina Maria Carlberg. The Major Wallencrona died in 1748 and his widow Margaret, later remarried to Thomas von Rappholt, continued to live at Hammar until 1785. The next owner of Hammer was Major Erik Gustaf von Eckstedt, who also owned the estate Sjönnebol in the neighboring Ny precinct. He was married with Ulrika Gadde the daughter of Colonel Gustaf Gadde and his spouse Ebba Falkenberg. To ensure the future for their children and descendants, Major von Eckstedt founded a Fideikomiss, which prohibited the sale of the properties and required that those who were the keepers of the buildings to keep the properties of Hammar and Sjönnebol in good condition and even make them better for the next generation to take over. The Major’s daughter Magdalena Juliana and her husband Major Bengt Lilliehöök of Gälared were Fideikomiss holders of Hammer until Major Lilliehöök’s death in 1842. The fideikomiss continued to his son, Captain Bengt Lilliehöök Jr., who took over Hammer in 1844. He later built new large farm buildings in 1898, and after the old main house burned down in April 1900, he built a new castle-like manor house, designed by engineer and Station Inspector, Ludvig Bäärnhielm. Captain Lilliehöök lifted the Fideikomiss and then he sold the family property of Hammar to Gustaf Nordenborg in 1911. Later Nordenborg’s daughter Brita and her husband Emil der Nederlanden took over Hammar in 1966 and had it until 1984, when one of their sons, Jan der Nederlanden, with his wife Lotta took over. In 2007 the Hammar estate was sold to Jan Christer Eriksson from Allingsås, who had plans to use Hammar as a hunting chateau. However, before those plans were realized, Hammar was sold in 2010 to the Norwegian-American couple, Estate owner, Captain & Chevalier Hans J. Hurley-Langseth OLJ and wife Dame Karen L. Hurley-Langseth OLJ.